Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Green Tea Cake with Sriracha Lollipops

   

Every year I attempt to outdo last year's birthday cake for my boyfriend.  Two years ago it was a simple cake from my retail bakery days and last year it was a coke cake.  This year when I listed off flavor options, he was intrigued by the idea of a green tea cake.  I've wanted to make a green tea dessert for awhile now, but this was unfamiliar territory for me.



Spent hours searching online where to buy matcha green tea powder and finally settled on nuts.com.  I even got a free sample of dried persimmons with my shipment! Then I was ready to play ;)



Mixing in the matcha powder with the dry ingredients



The batter took on a pretty, subtle green color



Well, balls.  Somebody switched out my green cakes for yellow ones! 



Even though the green color didn't remain through the baking process, the cakes puffed beautifully and were moist.  If you want your cakes to look green, add a little green food dye to help them along



Pretty green whip.  I added a few squirts of dye to emphasize the green



All frosted



Now the fun part.  I made sriracha hot sauce lollipops for decoration.



Drizzled the hot mixture over lollipop sticks on parchment paper for fun designs



Now, I made the lollipops mostly for laughs, since my boyfriend loves spicy things.  I initially thought about making a batch of alcoholic lollipops for decoration.  Next time! After seeing sriracha lollipops sold online, I searched for a recipe, and to my surprise they didn't end up tasting bad.  If you like sriracha sauce and candy, I recommend trying the recipe for something fun.  

With that said, green tea and sriracha don't go together at all though, so if you make them for this cake, I recommend eating them separately.



The subtle light green color of the frosting mixed with the orange of the lollipops complimented each other very well



Removed the lollipops for easier cutting :)



Green Tea Cake with Sriracha Lollipops

Ingredients:

2 cups cake flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
6 tbs matcha green tea powder
1 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs
1 cup plain yogurt
2 tsp vanilla

     For the frosting: 

2 cups heavy whipped cream
2-4 tbs powdered sugar (taste and add more if needed)
4 tbs matcha powder

    For the filling:
4 ounces cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 tbs milk

1 cup powdered sugar
4 tbs matcha powder

   For the lollipops:
Followed this recipe, other than the end design:
http://www.sprinklebakes.com/2012/06/sriracha-lollipops.html



Directions:

1) Preheat oven to 350*.  Grease two 9 inch cake pans, place two circles of parchment paper in each one, and grease those. In medium bowl mix dry ingredients together.  

2) In another bowl, beat together the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla.  Add the flour mixture and yogurt, alternately.  Pour batter into pans.

3) Bake 15-20 minutes (I did 20 and they were more than done).

4) Make your frosting.  Using a mixer, whip the heavy cream until almost stiff.  Add in matcha powder and powdered sugar, to taste.

5) Make your filling.  Cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese.  Add matcha powder, then the rest of the ingredients.




No comments:

Post a Comment