Sunday, March 10, 2013

Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookie Heart Pops


I have one last recipe to share from my collection before I start uploading new stuff.  These heart pops are back from Valentine's Day, but even though we are past the day of love and chocolate and overly-crowded restaurants, these cookie pops are perfect year-round (shape them in circles if you don't want hearts).

Since putting desserts on sticks is a current trend, and I still have a drawer full of lollipop sticks from last year, making cookie pops seemed like the thing to do.  I've done plenty of cut-out sugar cookies but wanted something more chocolaty, a dough that was still stable enough that I could cut it into hearts.  But regular boring chocolate chip cookies? Never! I added candied bacon!

Actually, I love plain chocolate chip cookies.  But this wasn't the right time for them.  I wanted a manly cookie, and adding bacon automatically makes anything manly, even if it is heart-shaped and on a stick.  

Although I'm sure most guys wouldn't complain about a fresh baked cookie, regardless of what kind it is.  But whatever.  I wanted bacon! ;)



I folded in a mixture of semi-sweet and milk chocolate chips, along with lots of bacon chunks.



Mmmm, the bacon makes the dough look lovely.



  The hearts were a little difficult to cut out, due to the giant chunks of chocolate and chewy bacon, but all you have to do is press the chunks back into the heart after using your cutter.  This dough didn't spread at all in the oven!



I definitely ate a couple of these right out of the oven, complete with drinking milk from my aesthetic milk bottle.  Before I was finished taking pictures.  Oops.  I guess I need to work on this whole food picture-taking thing ;)

So.  You could easily stop there and wrap your cookies all pretty-like and be finished.  Since I made my cookies for Valentine's Day, I decided to go a step further, melt some colored chocolate, and write little messages on the cookies.  You can change up the colors and designs depending on the occasion, or write the recipient's name, or something. 


See, I had no choice but to try out the cookies! Otherwise I wouldn't have been able to show you what the inside looks like!



I was initially concerned that the sticks wouldn't hold up the cookies well, but there were no causalities in this batch.



These cookie pops are a great way to show someone you love him or her.  As anything with bacon always is!


Bacon Chocolate Chip Cookie Heart Pops

Ingredients:

2 sticks butter
8 pieces of cooked bacon, crumbled
1/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1 tbs vanilla
2 1/3 cup flour (plus extra for rolling)
1 cup chocolate chips (mini would be best, but I used regular ones)

Directions:

1) Fry your bacon.  As always, I cook mine with gobs of brown sugar.  And cayenne pepper this time too.  Set aside to cool.  Reserve 1-2 tbs of grease.

2) Pre-heat oven to 350*. Cream butter and sugars.  Add egg yolk, bacon grease (optional) and vanilla.  Beat until well-incorporated.

3) Separate dough into two balls, wrap both with plastic wrap, and chill in fridge for at least 1/2 an hour.  Working with one ball at a time, roll out the dough and cut out either hearts or circles.

4) Press lollipop sticks into each cut-out, then press a small chunk of dough onto the part of the stick on the lollipop to make it secure.

5) Chill the cut-outs in the fridge one more time before baking, then bake for about 10-12 minutes.  Once they are cool, decorate how you'd like!


No comments:

Post a Comment